Skip To Main Content

Some one hundred years ago in the heart of the black belt and in the center of Lowndes County there arose in the minds of some of our energetic leaders, the necessity for a better school for our Negro boys and girls of the county. In order to have this school they decided to consolidate three grammar schools near the center of the county they were the Charity Industrial School, School, Gordonville Grammar School, and Mosses School. These men carried their plans to the late Judge J.C. Wood and Superintendent H. K. Williamson. They were readily accepted by the superintendent and Judge Wood helped them in many ways to get their plans to materialize. After getting the consent of the superintendent, they were then interested in securing a site for the school. Several sites were considered, but one of our colored land owners, Robert McCord, consented to sell them seven acres of land to build the school. This is the present site of the school. These interested men organized themselves as the first board of trustees. They were W.C. Carnes, Chairman; Grant McCord, Secretary; Robert Chisholm, Treasurer; John Patterson, Wilson Gilliam, John Webb, William Reese, John Paige, Will Williams, Johnson Pugh, and William Rilliam. It is an interesting story how the building materials were secured. All of the people of the community were very cooperative. Men made long trips in wagons to Letohatchee for the materials. A portion of the funds for them were raised in the local community and the state matched their funds two to one. From these materials a two story frame building was constructed containing five rooms for instruction. Mrs. Mary F. Edwards served as first principal. After Mrs. Edwards resigned, Mr. ST. Wilson became principal. Under his administration, the vocational department and a teacher aide were added to the school. Upon the resignation of Mr. Wilson, Mr. C.P. Everette, the vocational agriculture teacher was promoted to principal. During his administration the vocational building was renovated. The building was destroyed by fire and rebuilt the following year. Because of failing health, Mr. Everette offered his resignation in 1937. His unexpired term was carried out by Mr. L. R. Gresham.


In 1938, Mr. Wayman R. F. Grant became principal. During his administration, through the N. Y. A., an elementary building and a vocational building were constructed. After Mr. Grant was called into the armed services, Mr. James Jenkins was appointed principal. He carried out the unfinished term and an additional year. During his administration the vocational building was destroyed by fire. In 1944, R. Pierce became principal. Seeing the need of renovating or replacing the administration building and to replace the administration building the agriculture building and to replace the administration building which was condemned. Before this building was completed, fire destroyed the administration building. Under Mr. Pierce's administration forty acres of land are being purchased. On this has been constructed a combination boys’ dormitory and athletic building, a barn, a fish pond and an athletic field, graded. The teacherage has been renovated for an elementary building and a playground graded around it. The old elementary building has been renovated for a vocational agriculture building. Walks are being paved, a new road cut and graveled on the campus and last but not least a well-equipped, brick seven classroom building and a combination library and auditorium with running water and stream heat have been erected. The faculty has been increased from either to fourteen with all high school teachers holding "B" certificates. Dr. R.R. Pierce was succeeded by Mr. Walter Sellers in 1975. During his tenure the Uralee A. Haynes Gymnasium was erected. His love for athletics motivated him to put lights on the football field, which today is named in his honor. In 1976, Lowndes County Training School would be renamed Central High School in the township of Mosses. Mr. Seller's term was ended by a sudden death. Mr. Johnny Standford served as principal in 1900, followed by Mr. William Walker in 1992, Mr. Franklin Perry in 1995, and Mrs. Leola Bell in 1998. Under the leadership of Ms. Bell, one hundred percent of the Class of 2003 graduated after passing all five subtests of the Alabama High School Graduation Examination (AHSGE). During that same historical period, Ms. Gladys Patterson wrote the school song entitled "Alma Mater."


In August 2003, Mr. A. C. Foster became principal. Under his tenure, the high school was renovated to include central heating and air conditioning, new seating on the football field, and a new cafeteria. A distance-learning lab was added in 2003, and the school became a member of the National Honor Society. The Golden Ambassadors were established by the guidance counselor, Mrs. Sheryl Nelson. The school partnered with Wallace Community College to offer dual enrollment opportunities to students. It met all Adequate Year Progress goals as mandated by the No Child Left Behind, and the Alabama Department of Education. Mr. K.E. Fair assumed the leadership role of Central High School in the fall of 2005. During his first year, Central High School received, for the first time in its history, accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS. The school has continued to make Adequate Yearly Progress, and establish programs to motivate and inspire youth. These programs, Men in Motion and Ladies of Elegance, have been introduced with great success. Central High School continues its commitment to excellence and developing productive citizens by the acquisition and implementation of technology across the curriculum while engaging in the development of community outreach initiatives to garner parental involvement. In the fall of 2008, Ms. Peggy Grant assumed the leadership of Central High School as principal. Under her leadership, Central was granted reaffirmation of its SACS accreditation in April, 2010. Today, Central High School is one of two high schools in Lowndes County, Alabama, the heart of the Black Belt. Students may choose to purse an advanced, standard, or occupational diploma that can include a career technical endorsement, Students may also elect or pursue dual enrollment credit through Wallace Community College. In the fall of 2014, Mr. Toriano Baker assumed the leadership of Central High School as principal and Mrs. Stewart as Assistant Principal. Additionally, in 2017 Mr. Archie Curtis became principal, Central High School counts among its greatest strengths, the development of lifelong learners striving to be their best and the fostering of a spirit of collaboration partnerships with the greater community. Central High School's clear vision of its future on the economic world stage is to continue to build strong culture of excellence in all things.

Central High School
143 Main Street
Hayneville (Mosses)